At Waller Transport, we pride ourselves on our innovative approach to logistics, with our national network of haulage partners allowing us to find delivery solutions when others can’t, be it in the UK or on the continent. However, today, we’re here to let you know that you need to be ready for the new EU rules for international transportation.

If you didn’t know already, from the 21st of May 2022, EU rules state that if intending to transport cargo with an LGV for reward or hire through the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, and it weighs in excess of 2.5 tonnes, it will be necessary to be in possession of an International Operators’ Licence (a.k.a International O Licence or IOL).

Act Now to Avoid Work Interruption

With just a very short time to go before these rules come into effect, those who don’t have this licence will need to apply as soon as possible to operate in the EU without any interruption. It’s also important that you know that you should select the ‘interim’ option when making your application online.

In order to avoid unnecessary delays in the processing of your application, we recommend that you visit for the full list of details required. Also when completing your application, you should remember that:

  • It’s necessary for you to be a qualified transport manager. If this is a qualification that you don’t have, you may be able to be temporarily designated as a transport manager, so long as you have sufficient experience. It’s possible to make the process simpler by using GOV.UK’s online service.
  • You will need to provide documents (like a bank statement) that prove that you have access to a set finance amount to run your business.

What If I Already Have an HGV IOL?

If you already have your IOL for driving heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), it is possible to the LGV component to your existing licence. It may also be necessary to make posting declarations for journeys to the EU – something you now must do when making cabotage journeys between two points in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or the EU.

This involves registering the operator, driver, details of driver employment, the vehicle used and the dates of travel. This applies whether using HGVs, LGVs of any size or cars to transport goods for hire, reward or personal use, regardless of whether or not you’re towing a trailer.

Here to Make Sense of International Haulage

So, if you haven’t yet got your International Operators’ Licence in your possession, we recommend that you do so as soon as you can. Follow the guidelines above and make your application online without delay and you should be able to continue working between the UK and the EU uninterrupted.

International haulage has certainly become more complicated since Brexit, particularly as there’s also a raft of new customs clearance regulations that need to be followed. However, you shouldn’t worry too much, as the Waller Transport team is here to help you make sense of things, whether you’re an owner/driver or a haulage company.

If you’d like to know more about us, our pioneering return loads approach or the wide range of different types of cargo we can help you with, visit us today at Alternatively, give us a call on 01473 254717 and we’ll be happy to help you in any way we can.